Since a lot of international fans wanted to read more about Eric Saade, we translated our interview to english.
Eric Saade gave Sweden it’s eurovision honor back. After years of failures he took us to the podium.
– I knew Europe would like this, he says.
The final was a thriller. Sweden was in the lead for a long time. We ended up in third place, our best result since 1999.
The pressure on Eric Saade was huge. Since last year’s fiasco, when Sweden didn’t reach the final, critics wanted the swedish eurovision general, Christer Björkman, to resign. They wanted to change the swedish final. On saturday, the critics turned quiet. United they celebrated Saade’s place on the podium.
Christer Björkman was not the only happy Swede in the huge arena in Düsseldorf. Eric Saade was euphoric and shouted along with his dancers and his choreographer Benke Rydman.
Even if he’d like to win, he is more than satisfied with his third place.
– When you realize you’re in the top three you are satisfied. Then you know you could win, it’s awesome, but Sweden have to spend 20 millions euros to arrange the eurovison. Or, you can finish at second or third place and you will be the artist that probably will have the best chances to make it around the world. So, my artist heart said ”yes”, but the flag I’m keeping in my hand said I wanted to win.
This is the best swedish result since the ninties. And that’s a victory, he says.
– It feels great. It’s a victory for everyone – for us sitting here, for me as an artist and for Sweden. It’s so bloody awesome to bring Sweden to the top. Now we’re ut there again. Next time someone competes, I’ve got it all served. Now it’s easy to win, he says with confidence.
The last couple of weeks, he made himself famous for being outspoken. Now he says what he thinks about the favorite contestants that didn’t make it to the top.
– We present a number that is tight and looks international. There are a lot of clowns in the race, but this shows that a serious, modern pop act can win. But you also need some luck and some votes from your neighbours.
Before he left the arena, he fired a qoute worthy his idol Zlatan Ibrahimovic.
– Above all, I got a sign that I ate all Europe. I had sex with the cameras.
Text: Tove Hansson
Foto: Sven-Erik Svensson